Manager, Legal and Policy
LOCATION: Canberra, ACT
The position is offered on a flexible part-time (minimum 24 hours) or full-time basis, with a competitive salary package.
The Manager, Legal and Policy is responsible for managing legal, governance and compliance matters; government and stakeholder liaison; and policy development for the Advertising Standards Bureau (ASB).
The Manager, Legal and Policy provides advice to the CEO and Board on legal and governance matters and develops policy and issue papers to support the ASB’s strategic objectives. Regular liaison with and submissions to government and industry bodies is required.
The Manager, Legal and Policy also manages the secretariat function for the Advertising Claims Board, the panel of lawyers appointed to resolve competitor complaints under the Advertiser Code of Ethics. This role involves liaison with complainant and advertiser representatives, appointment of the Claims Board members and administrative support over the duration of cases.
The ASB manages the complaint resolution process of the advertising self-regulation system. ASB functions as secretariat for the Advertising Standards Board and the Advertising Claims Board – the two independent bodies established to determine consumer and competitor complaints against the advertising self-regulatory codes. The ASB is a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee and based in Canberra.
- Provide internal legal advice to the CEO and corporate board on a range of issues relating to corporate law, administrative law and other legal matters as required.
- Maintain effective governance and compliance processes for the company.
- Prepare submissions to government and industry inquiries and consultations.
- Contribute to development of policy and position papers.
- Represent the CEO in stakeholder consultation as required.
- Manage the secretariat function of the Advertising Claims Board
- Other tasks required to support the strategic objectives of the ASB.
YOUR SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
We are looking for a person who is legally qualified and motivated to perform a broader role in a small team covering legal, policy and government/stakeholder relations.
You must have:
- A current legal practicing certificate or eligibility to obtain an in-house practicing certificate.
- Well-developed legal skills and experience, preferably including corporate law and administrative law.
- Experience in government or stakeholder relations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills which you are able to apply in the preparation and presentation of legal and policy advice and other business communications.
- Initiative and motivation to undertake diverse and complex tasks.
- Effective time management skills with the ability to prioritise tasks within tight timelines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team with the commitment and motivation to deliver high quality results across a wide range of tasks.
- Experience (or willingness to gain experience) in company secretarial functions.
- Knowledge or understanding of the role of the advertising self-regulation system.
Applications should include a cover letter briefly addressing your skills and experience as relevant to the role, together with a current CV and details of two current referees. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on 3 March 2017 to [email protected].