New Ad Standards campaign: People like you

Ad Standards has begun a new public awareness campaign centred around a TV advertisement which aims to show that Ad Standards Board (Board) members are People just like you.

The ad, being broadcast on TV and online, highlights that all ad complaints will be given a fair hearing by the Board, which is made up of diverse community members.

The campaign hopes to raise awareness of the role of Ad Standards and the Board, as well as highlighting to people how easy it is to lodge a complaint online.

Take a look at the ad:

Several members of the Board feature in the ad. We thank Board members Graham, Karen, Maria, Paula and Peter for their involvement in our campaign.

Ad Standards also appreciates the assistance provided by our Bureau Board Chairman, Ian Alwill, and Bureau Board Director John McLaren, as well as the creative input of Rob Palmer (The Palmer Agency) and Bill Mulham (Flicks Australia). The support of television networks is also helping to spread the message around Australia that Board members are people from the community, not advertisers or industry representatives.

6 comment

• Lyall DJ - 8 November 2014 - 2:19am

I congratulate ADSTANDARDS on your advert showing violence against a men as unacceptable, I also hope you keep an eye on the sexual degradation of males with television hosts talking about men like pieces of meat even on day time shows. Today showing a half clad or even a male bound and being ridden like a horse by a women is ok. Society seems to need an under dog and it must be the time to demoralise and abuse males rights.

• chrisitne - 25 October 2014 - 12:50am

In response to christine (24 October 2014):
    Menulog is the Company advertising the insulting advertisement.
    I do hope this advertisement will be reconsidered and not used again.

• chrisitne - 25 October 2014 - 12:45am

In response to Holly Berry (28 May 2014):
    "I am offended by your commercial advertising your site on the television of the Leonardo da Vinci of the Last Supper. I am a Christian and the last supper is a sacred time in the Christian calender and should not be made a joke about. The ad is a very flippant representation of this event. During the last supper Jesus blesses the food and says that when we celebrate this time we will remember the sacrifice He made for us all, you included .

Mat 26:26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, "Take, eat; this is My body."
    Mat 26:27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you.
    Mat 26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
    Mat 26:29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom."

This is the passage from the book of Matthew in the new testament. This is what you are demeaning in your commercial. You may choose to think this is a trivial thing but I pray that you will reconsider using this commercial."

• Ad Standards - 10 June 2014 - 1:48pm

In response to Rebecca T (10 June 2014):
    Hi Rebecca, if you have a complaint about misleading advertising you should contact the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-accc/consumer-complaint-form).

• Rebecca T - 10 June 2014 - 1:22pm

Hi, I just watched two successive advertisements on channel 7 about a company called "Metagenics", I wonder if anyone is actually aware that the founder of said company, Jeffery Bland has been prosecuted on numerous occasions for fraudulent claims of his products??

• Holly Berry - 28 May 2014 - 3:16pm

There are just too many adverts on Channel Seven. The only programme I watch on commercial TV (apart from SBS) is "Bargain Hunt", weeknights at 6.30pm and even that is beginning to suffocate me with its adverts.
    Last viewing I watched there were 6 adverts in the first "break" followed by 10 in the next, then 8, 9, and finally 8 more - each ten minutes apart. This counts for 41 adverts in a single hour, which by my calculations is longer than the programme content.
    How much is too much?
    Many of the adverts are repeated within minutes. I know the sponsors would say that's good, as it means someone is paying attention! No!
    On principle I will not buy any products advertised this way.
    It is time to change! get your sponsorship money a different way before I go MAD!