Advertising to children: determination summary
The AANA Children’s Code applies to all Marketing and Communications which are:
- Directed primarily to children (aged 14 and under)
- For goods, services and/or facilities that are targeted towards and have principal appeal to children
Advertisements in breach of this Code include:
- Advertisements that encourage children to pester their parents for products.
- Mattel – 0522/14
The Ad Standards Community Panel have dismissed a number of complaints under this Code.
- Advertisements directed to families, rather than primarily to children, will not be considered under this Code.
- Advertisements may have children discussing a product but this does not mean the ad is directed primarily to children.
- While children may want the food or beverage product in the advertisement, if the ad is not directed primarily to children it will not be considered.
- Advertisements for a brand instead of a product will not be considered under this code.
- Ferrero Australia – 0006/19