Work with us
Legal and Regulatory Affairs Manager (part-time)
- Unique opportunity to work with Australia’s independent advertising complaints adjudicator.
- Flexible part-time (approx. 24 hours/week) position based in Canberra.
- Salary range $120,000 - $160,000 (inclusive of superannuation), pro rata.
This is a unique opportunity to join Ad Standards, Australia’s independent advertising complaints adjudicator working with advertisers and the community to uphold community standards in advertising.
About Ad Standards
Ad Standards manages the complaint resolution process of the advertising self-regulation system. Ad Standards functions as secretariat for the Ad Standards Community Panel and the Ad Standards Industry Jury – the two independent bodies established to determine consumer and competitor complaints against the advertising self-regulatory codes. Ad Standards is a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee and based in Canberra.
The Legal and Regulatory Affairs Manager is responsible for managing legal, governance and compliance matters; government and stakeholder liaison; and policy development for Ad Standards.
This position provides advice to the staff and Board on legal and governance matters and develops policy and issue papers to support Ad Standards strategic objectives. Regular liaison with and submissions to government and industry bodies is required.
The Legal and Regulatory Affairs Manager also manages the secretariat function for the Ad Standards Industry Jury, the panel of lawyers appointed to resolve competitor complaints under the AANA Code of Ethics. This role involves liaison with complainant and advertiser representatives, appointment of the Industry Jury members and administrative support over the duration of cases. Key responsibilities include:
- Provide internal legal advice to Ad Standards staff and the corporate board on a range of issues relating to corporate law, administrative law and other legal matters as required.
- Maintain effective governance and compliance processes for the company.
- Prepare submissions to government and industry inquiries and consultations.
- Contribute to development of policy and position papers.
- Represent Ad Standards in stakeholder consultation as required.
- Manage the secretariat function of the Ad Standards Industry Jury.
- Other tasks required to support the strategic objectives of Ad Standards.
We are looking for a person who is legally qualified and motivated to perform a broader role in a small team covering legal, policy and government/stakeholder relations.
- A current legal practicing certificate or eligibility to obtain an in-house restricted practicing certificate.
- Well-developed legal skills and experience, preferably including corporate law and administrative law.
- Experience in government or stakeholder relations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills which you are able to apply in the preparation and presentation of legal and policy advice and other business communications.
- Initiative and motivation to undertake diverse and complex tasks.
- Effective time management skills with the ability to prioritise tasks within tight timelines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team with the commitment and motivation to deliver high quality results across a wide range of tasks.
- Experience (or willingness to gain experience) in company secretarial functions.
- Knowledge or understanding of the role of the advertising self-regulation system.
How to apply:
Please address the selection criteria and forward a current resume including details of two current referees.
Applications are due by COB Wednesday 10 June 2020 and can be submitted by email to Julie Hammond via [email protected].
Please see the position description for more information.